A workmen's institute rebuilt at St Fagans, originally put up in the mining village of Oakdale, around ten miles north of Caerphilly. Foundation stones were laid on 3 July 1916 and the building opened on 10 September 1917, paid for by a £3,000 loan from the Tredegar Iron and Coal Company and £1,554 in workmen's penny-a-week payments. A 650-seat cinema was added in 1927. It closed in 1987 and reopened here in 1995.